We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...

We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...
1997's Climb

Monday, January 23, 2012

Rice!


                Cooking.  We sometimes used to look at it as a hassle.  A drag.  'Dave, what should I make tonight?'  'Kimmy, anything you choose to make will be wonderful.'  'Yeh, but...I'm out of ideas, help me!'.  Did I take it for granted?  Yes, in some ways.  I always, always appreciated and enjoyed every meal that Kim lovingly created for our family.
                And so.  I do not complain about cooking.  And the lack of time to cook.  And worrying about running out of ideas.  Being in Kimmy's kitchen is a one of the highlights of my day.  Especially when the bambini or their friends say how good it is...or even better...'It's just like Mama's!'  It is comforting cooking and re-creating all of her favorite recipes.  The little ones always like to help.  Especially Tonio.
               I've been expanding my repertiore over the last year, expanding into Mexican food.  Albondigas (I don't have any mint leaves, though, Angie), enchiladas, Janene's Rotel shredded chicken burritos, beans, sopa de fideo (Andrea's recipe) and, of course, Kimmy's tortilla soup.  I'm getting a pretty good handle on it and since I could eat Italian and Mexican every day, this is probably as broad as my cooking horizon will get.
             Until yesterday.  Rice.  I've never tried to make Spanish rice and had heard how tricky a process it is.  Rice is a challenge as it is.  Sometimes it comes out sticky, chewy or crunchy.  Spanish rice begins with browning the rice.  Not singeing it, browning.  Then you get to the boiling process.  I knew Mario had this art form down, and Andrea shared his secrets with me:

                  1 tablespoon of butter (I added a dollop of olive oil - it prevents the butter from burning!)
                  2 cups of rice
                  3 1/2 cups of water
                  1 chicken bouillon cube
                  1 tablespoon of Caldo de Pollo (powdered chicken bouillon)
                  1/2 cup of tomato sauce

                  Melt butter, with dollop of olive oil, in nice pot

             Brown the 2 cups of rice in the butter/olive oil, stirring occasionally.
             Once it is golden brown, add in the 3 1/2 cups of water, bouillon cube, Caldo de Pollo and the tomato sauce and bring to a rapid boil.  Allow it to get really boiling and then reduce heat to low, cover and allow to cook for 20 minutes.  Remove from heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes before stirring/fluffing.


Andrea, Lexy and Breanna all told me it was great! (I'm sure not anywhere near as good as Mario's though!)  I served it with beans and Rotel chicken (recipes somewhere back in blog history) and the kids ate it up!  Bella tried to have some too, but ended up with Iam's.  Sorry Bella.

I was so excited to add this recipe to 'things I can cook' and I really like rice, so wanted to share it with you!

Enjoy!
Dave
           
              

6 comments:

  1. I am literally salivating. Yep. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever we go to El Paso, I love when his mom makes rice, but I've never been able to make rice...What brand did you buy? And is it called Spanish rice?

    looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! I also make lime/cilantro rice when we have fajitas (like the rice they have at Chipotle)...it's pretty easy as well. Let me know if you want to try the recipe some time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ami, Mary and Jen! Mary, I use long grain white rice to make this. Not even sure of the brand! Any white rice will work. Yes Jen, I'd love to have your rice recipe! Can you send it to me on FB? Thanks, as always, for reading/commenting!! Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had Mario's rice...it is very good :) Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delish! I've never been one to turn down anything with rice - and would love to give this a try. Kim's tortilla soup also sounds wonderful. Next time I'm at Viro's, I'll have to pick up a Kim's Kitchen cookbook!

    ReplyDelete